Steampunk pirates

Gå ner

Steampunk pirates

Inlägg  Byakko i sön jan 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Elize was gleefully skipping along the narrow hallways of one of the lower levels of the ship. Her hands were uncommonly clean. She liked being clean when talking to the captain. Soon enough her hands would be covered in oil-stains again.
Captain Foley had asked her about the conditions of the engines. It was a weekly procedure. She presented hersalf at the deck, changed a couple of words with the first mate who usually stood at the wheel while the captain ignored her. After a couple of minutes he would decide to pay attention to her, ask a couple of polite questions and then invite her to his quarters.
In there she would present schematics and graphs and in detail explain the contition of the engines, what, if anything, started to look worn of needed replacing.
He would be his usual charismatic self. She would do her very best not to swoon. Then he would dismiss her with a wink and she would always try to leave with a little decorum.
She was immensly pleased with her recent meeting with him. He had been very pleased with her work and had praised her. He had even patted her on the back as he would do with his first and second mate sometimes.

Elize sighed happily and skipped into the messhall. Her black, wavy hair cascaded down her back and framed her well proportioned face in bangs. She wore her usual skirt with soft leather stockings held up with garters, a small blouse that just covered her chest and arms. Any more clothes would be way too hot down by the engines. The only reason she had long sleeves was to protect her arms from burns. During her 10 years as an engineer she had already amassed an impressive amount of burn-scars on her arms and hands..
Her very pale blue eyes searched the messhall and sher pursed her full lips. The mess was almost empty. Old Greg was sleeping with his head on his arms. He was awefully grouchy in the mornings so she decided to leave him be. One of the deckhands, Jonas, was sitting in a corner. She refused to even acknowledge him. He was sleezy.
Her eyes locked onto the most unfamiliar face in the room. With a smile and a toss of her head she plopped down on the opposite side of the table where she was sitting.
"Hello newbie. Drevo...something, right?"
She cocked her head to the side and tried a friendly smile. There were few females on the ship and it could get a little lonely.

Byakko

Antal inlägg : 300
Registreringsdatum : 12-11-04

Användarens profil

Till överst på sidan Gå ner

Sv: Steampunk pirates

Inlägg  Foxy i sön jan 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Drev suspiciously poked the strange looking meat, laying on her plate, with the fork and half expected it to scurry away over the table. It didn't. She twitched her nose and upper lip in disgust and pushed the plate farther away from herself. She had lost her appetite. She lifted her gaze from the table and glanced toward the burly men playing poker in the corner. They were laughing and swearing all at once. She suspected that all of them were cheating. They were pirates after all.

When the cheerful presence suddenly plopped down on the seat in front of her, she turned her head and lifted an eyebrow.
"Hi..." she said a bit uncertain and studied the other woman. "Yeah.. Drevonia, but most call me Drev" she leaned back in the chair. "And you are?" she recognized her but couldn't really place a name to the face. There weren't that many females on the ship so Drev should remember the other woman's name if she had heard it but she hadn't really been on the ship that long. Not nearly two months. So she still struggled trying to remember everybody.

Foxy
Admin

Antal inlägg : 1355
Registreringsdatum : 12-09-25

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i sön jan 20, 2013 8:16 pm

"Drev.."
She smiled cheerfully.
"I'm Elize. I'm in charge of this pretty buckets' engine room. Making sure she's not just floating around aimlessly."
While she was talking the cook came up to her with a stale piece of bread and something that looked like day-old stew. Elize sighed at the sight but thanked the poor man anyway. It asn't like he had much to work with. Hopefully they would make berth someplace soon or come across a merchant-vessel to raid. She really missed fresh vegetables.
"So I heard you got hired on at The Wreck? But gossip travels fast and seldm true.. What do you do exactly?"
The Wreck had been their last berth. It was a derelict space-station turned into a self-governed cesspool. A good enough place for selling black market items. Captain Foley had at least been pleased with their winnings. Elize hopes she could persuade him to buy new thruster ignition-spikes.
The Wreck was not an ideal place for stocking up foodstuffs though. All they had gotten was dried meat. Elize didn't want to know what kind of animal the meat was from..

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i sön jan 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Drev returned the smiled half-heartedly, this woman didn't seem to have any bad intentions but you never knew.
"Oh, so it's you I should blame then if we gets stranded somewhere because the engines explodes" she said jokingly and gave her a teasing smile. Her eyes darted to the cook when he placed the plate of stew and the stale bread on the table. The look of the stew made her nauseous and she glanced at her own plate just to make sure that the meat hadn't crawled away.
"Well, for once the rumors are true" she said with a smirk. "I was hired at The Wreck." Her eyes returned to Elize again. "I'm a navigator at the moment but hopefully I can earn the captains trust to be a pilot."

She had had the good fortune to run into the captain when the Felice had docked at The Wreck. Actually the good fortune had been planned all along by Drev, ever since she heard the rumors of the Felice docking in the harbor. She had spied on the ship and the crew, taking notes of the captains habits and then she had approached him the same day as the Felice was supposed to leave the station. At first he weren't interested in taking on a new navigator but she had persuaded him in the end with her charm and a couple of spiked ales. He didn't remember anything from that night but Drev had made sure some of the men from the crew saw him telling her that she could come along as junior navigator so that nobody questioned her presence on the ship.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i sön jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Elize laughed at the comment and smirked.
"Yeah.. not so likely. At least not if I can get some decent work out of the newly hired engineer. So far he has only been a chore"
She dipped the stale bread in the stew and took a bite. She was used to the boring and seldom tasy fare served on the ship. It was a pirate's life after all. She did notice Devs grimace and smiled crookedly. She would get ovet it or crack and be kicked off someplace off-world.
"Isch.. tough spot that cesspool is. I'm impressed. Have you been acting as pilon on any other vessel? Captain Foley can be quite picky."
She took a drink of stale water and tried to force another bite of stew down. It really wasn't that bad if you didn't breathe through your nose.
"I repair the Raptors so I take one out for a spin now and then but I prefer to stay on the ship when we board. It's gets so messy."
She smlied, inviting Drev to share the joke. One didn't turn pirate and smuggler if one became queasy at the sight of blood and gore.

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i sön jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm

"Not a place for weaklings.." she said shrugging as if it wasn't such a big deal. In reality it had been hell. Waste and dregs in every corner, trying to get their hands on her. For the most of her stay there she had disguised herself as a boy. That way she had been able to roam quite freely. She wasn't born on The Wreck but was stranded there a couple of months before the Felice arrived.

"Yeah I've acted as pilot." That wasn't a total lie. She had flown vessels before and was actually very good at it but she had never actually been allowed to do it. The vessels she had flown were always stolen. She had been employed on a ship, before she became stranded at The Wreck, but as an helper in the kitchen. That hadn't been very glamorous work and her ass had been grabbed more than once but luckily that was the only way it had been violated. The captain of the ship was a Trescher (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/092/9/1/Alien_by_Robotpencil.jpg), a mean son of bitch that ruled his men cruely. The crew was a mix of different aliens and humans.

Drev had hated it and had ended up stealing one of the ships' Seekers, a tiny craft used for scouting out potential victims and were almost invisible to radar. That hadn't been popular with the captain and he had sent out ships after her but she had somehow been able to shake them off her tail. Eventually the fuel had ebbed and she had been forced to land on the closest station, which evidently had been The Wreck. The Seeker, she had sold of in pieces for a nice coin, which she had been able to live of. Her money had been sparse when the Felice arrived and she as desperate to get of the station before her old captain found her.

Drev smirked at Elize. "Oh but I like it messy.." she wasn't unfamiliar with blood and gore. "You seem kinda young for an engineer" she said eying her curiously. "Have you been here long?"

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i mån jan 21, 2013 10:19 am

"That's all well and good then. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for a dose of mayhem. I think the cap'n is planning to find a fat merchant- or trading-vessel soon. When I was up at the helm today I saw then changing our course to the Lambda-strip. It's trading season so a lot of ships should pass through there."
She gestured at her almost emply plate and then pushed it away.
"I'm myself hoping for one of those fat cogs carrying exotic food between galaxies."

Elize leaned back on her chair and propped her booted feet up on the table. She was certain that Drev held a lot of information back but she wasn't going to pry... yet.
"Yeah, about ten years. Started when I was fifteen. Cap'n hired me on as a favour for my old man. I proved my worth fast enough. I was practically raised in an engine room. I could replace warp drives and build capacitators when I was five."
She smiled and pushed the bangs out of her face.
"Anyway.. enough about me. Do you have any questions about the ship or how we do things here? I think we already share a bunk but I've been sleeping in the engine room these last couple of days. Cap'n likes to make sure that no males share bunk-rooms with females."
At least not since Elize had broken an arm, a nose and a few teeth on a particulary insistent crewmember. She smiled wickedly at the memory.

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i mån jan 21, 2013 10:52 am

"It would be nice to get some action, reading star charts and puls fluctuation diagrams all day ain't that thrilling unlike common belief.." she said with a quirky smile. A couple of fingers twirled with a lock of red hair and she looked towards the men playing cards. An argument had erupted which most likely had to do with someone being caught in the act of cheating. One of the men threw a plate at one of his mate and stew splattered all over the floor. Drev raised an eyebrow but didn't take that much notice of the dispute; as long as they didn't get any of that stew on her.
She whistled at Elize comment about being able to be replace a warp drive at the age of five. "That's quite impressive" she said nodding her head approvingly.
"Not really" she shrugged. All ships were mostly the same. Just follow the captains order and stay out of too much trouble.
"Yeah.. we aren't that many females on this vessel.." she said thoughtfully. Females were not uncommon on board pirate ships and there where usually more than the ratio on the Felice.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i mån jan 21, 2013 11:18 am

"We're actually only five now."
Elize held up a hand and started counting down on her fingers.
"There's me, head engineer. Trish; our best assault-pilot. You need to get on her good side if you ever wanna sit in and drive a Raptor by the way. Carli is a regular deckhand. You should already have met them as we're all bunking together. I don't know if you've ever met Moash. She's more brawn than brain and you will never, ever, want to get on her bad side. She's big as a house and has a temper. She sleeps with the men. Most of them are so scared of her that they take turns on who sleeps on the bunk above hers."
Elize grinned and let har hand fall down onto her lap again.
"And now you."
She stood up and streched lazily. She continued to ignore the scuffle between the card-players and picked up her plate.
"I can show you around the Raptor-bay if you want? Number 4 apparently veers to the left so I have to go down there anyway to make adjustments. I just need to get my kit from under my bunk."
She took her dishes to the door leading in to the kitchen and handed them to a small boy who quickly scurried away.

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i mån jan 21, 2013 11:39 am

Drev watched Elizes finger as she ticked them off. She had met the other women but not really interacted with them yet, since they all worked in different places on the ship and only met fleetingly in the room. The time in the room were only for sleeping and none of the females on board were the "girl-talking" type. She yawned and covered her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Love to" she said cheerfully and picked up her plate from the table. She hadn't had the opportunity to visit the Raptor-bay yet and she was curious to see the Raptors. Drev had never flown one but she had piloted other fighter crafts. She scraped of the left-overs in to a bin and then handed the empty plate to the dishboy.
"Lead the way" she said with a smile and let Elize take the lead.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i mån jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm

"Just gotta get my kit first, as I said" she smiled and headed out the door and in to the narrow hallways leading from the mess to the crew quarters. She quietly greeted a couple of crewmembers as they passed. She knew everyone on the ship but had never developed any close relationships with any of them. She got along well with the first mate and Trish and Carli were friendly enough.
"That was Hoed and Jon. Decent enough as pirates go. Never play cards with Hoed, though. He will rob you. Jon wins every wrestling match so don't let anyone fool you into betting on someone else."
After a couple of turns she stopped before a door with four names stamped on it. She pulled out a key from a pouch she was wearing on her belt and stepped inside the tiny room.
"Tell me something about yourself, Drev." she said as she started crawling to get in undet the bed where she stowed her small personal chest. It was middle sized and was covered in cogwheels, turn-keys, numbered buttons and a small lever. Elize swiftly started turning keys, pushing certain buttons and finallt pulled the lever. The lid popped open and she picked up a package rapped in soft leather. It was her own tinkering-kit. The Raptor-bay had plenty of tools of course, but Elize preferred her own. She shut the lid and the locking mekanism slid into place again with an audible click. She pushed the chest back in under the bunk, stepped out and locked the door behind her.

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i mån jan 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Drev glanced after the both men passing in the hall and tried adding their names to memory. She nodded in greeting but kept following Elize towards their quarter. She hung back at the door and watched the other woman when she pulled out the chest and opened it. Without even thinking about it she registered the different sounds the chest made as Elize unlocked it.
"Hm? Oh something about me?" she said, remembering that Elize had asked her a question. "Same old story" she said shrugging. "Grew up in the slums, orphaned, started stealing to get by. Ended up in the pirate trade. And now I'm here." All of that information was very unspecific but were usually enough to please the one questioning. She didn't really like to talk about herself, not with people she did not yet trust.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i mån jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Elize raised an eyebrow at the vague answer but didn't press her. She shrugged and started walking down the hallways again.
"That does sound like the usual reason for turning pirate."
She led Drev through several turns and down a couple of stairs before reaching a wide steel door. She pressed her wrist-gadget at a screen that flickered briefly and with a metallic groan the door slid to the side to reveal an big hangar.
Fifteen Raptors stood lined up in two rows and a couple of bulkier scouting-vessels stood a little off to one side.
"The pride of our dear captain and the terror of the Carlico-system"
She couldn't help smiling fondly and proudly at the sight of the fearsome, heavy armored and very deadly one-manned assault-crafts.
She looked at Drev and smiled crookedly.
"Look around all you want but keep your hands in your pockets. Everything in here is under Trishs' jurisdiction. The captain will always refer to her judgment down here and she will not hesitate to kill anyone hos needlessly messes with the Raptors. If they're not in peak condition they're as deadly to us as to those we're shooting at. But you should know these things already, yes?"

Elize sauntered over to one of the Raptors and placed her kit on the floor next to it. She unfolded the kit and picked up a couple of different tools.
One she used to unlock the engine hatch and one to open a side panel. She examined the cogs and gears, mumbling to herself as she replaced a frayed wire and switched a weakened cogwheel with a new one. She pulled some screws tight on the thruster engine and then looked over the guns, looking for rust and signs of hitching.
She looked over her shoulder and tried to see what Drev was doing. Elize realised she would need two pairs of eyes to see if the Rapton could fly straight. She contemplated calling for one of the pilots over the com but sha was curious about how well this girl could fly. She grimaced and made the decision.
"Hey, Drev! Could you take this one and just fly it from one end of the hangar to the next? I need to see if she can fly straight now."

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i tis jan 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Drev followed Elize trough the corridors and stairs and tried to draw a map in her mind while they were walking. She stopped and looked up at the big door and then proceeded in watching Elize when she pressed her wrist-gadget against the panel. She took a note of that, you never knew when information like that could be useful. She stepped in to the hangar and her gaze fell on the Raptors. She whistled appreciatively and nodded her head.
"I can see why..." a big smile flashed on her face. Drev had never seen a Raptor up close before and here they had a whole armada. She only half listened to Elize when she talked about not touching the Raptors but that she was allowed to look. "Mmm.. yeah.." Drev murmured and walked towards one of the Raptors on the right side.

She stopped in front of the sleek-looking vessel and admired it. Her fingers were twitching and it was hard keeping her hands to herself. She wondered how it would feel to fly in one.
"Hm?" Drev looked towards Elize when she called her. "Wait what?" she said when the words had registered in her brain. "You're kidding right?" she smiled but walked back to where Elize was standing.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i tis jan 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Elize shrugged and smiled at Drev's expression.
"I admit that it might be poor judgement on my part, but I need someone to drive while I try to determine how steady it flies. Let's just hope you're competent enough to know if anything feels off."
She wasn't worried, not really. She would have to fly it herself to make sure it felt right regardless of who tested it for her first. Elize saw it as an opportunity to get a measure of the new girl.
"These are all made by me and my team so pay attention now. You might have flown before but I doubt you've flown anything like these."
She was hard put to keep the pride from her voice. She gestured at a small button.
"That's the ignition. You steer by gripping these two handles and you check your bearings by keeping an eye on this meter. It connected to the gravitational drive. All weapons are turned on by a code so don't even think of trying to shoot them."
She stepped back and gestured for Drev to climb into the seat.
"I need you to get it hovering and drive it to the bay door and then back to me. Go slow, turn back and do it again. When you come back the second time I want to to release the handles and let it steer itself to a slow stop. Tell me if you feel it pulling left or right or if it feels smooth to you."

Elize backed up against a wall and nodded to Drev to start. She didn't feel the need to tell Drev that she held the kill-code in her wrist-gadget. Just one push of a button and every Raptor would shut down and become unusable until she, Trish or the Captain typed in the new start-code.

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i tis jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

A big grin spread across her face when she realized that Elize wasn't joking. She was really going to fly the Raptor. Drev felt all giddy but then became a bit hesitant. Was this some sort of test? She glanced at the other woman. Did she think Drev would mess up and that the consequence would be that she would be kicked off the ship? Was that why she was letting her fly the Raptor? Drev kicked herself for being so paranoid but considering the lifestyle they both had chosen, you couldn't be too careful. Either way, she wouldn't mess up. She watched carefully as Elize instructed her about the steering.

"Roger that" she said grinning and then got in to the cock-pit. She surveyed all the buttons and switches on the control panel to get a better feel of the machine. When Elize gave her the signal she pushed the ignition button. The engine fired up with a low humming and she gripped the two handles when she felt the craft lifting from the floor. She watched the meter; the craft was leaning just a bit to the right so she made a small adjustment. Slowly she tilted the handles slightly forward just to check how responsive the craft was. The Raptor responded immediately and started gliding forward. She had made an excellent judgement not to put more force in to the tilt. She smiled widely at how smoothly the craft ran and gave it a little bit more speed forward.

Drev listened to the humming of the engines and smiled to herself, this was her element. She could feel it in her whole body. She watched the meter and noticed that the craft was leaning a bit again.
"It's tugging a bit to the right, not much but enough to throw off the trajectory!" With a small hand gesture she corrected it and looked forward. Soon she was at the bay door and made the Raptor slow down until it hovered on the spot, then she let it turn around and glide back towards the place she had started from. Second turn around she let go of the handles, like Elize had instructed, and let the Raptor fly foward without steering it but held her hands just above the handles in case something should go wrong. As the craft glided forward she could feel the slight tilting to the right side again.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Byakko i tis jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Elize watched the Raptor intently. She took note in her head the engine sound and angle of tilt on the craft.
She raised her voice over the humming.
"So I see. Park it here in front of me, shut of the engine and I'll make some more adjustments"
She waited until Drev had placed the Raptor and the engine hade died down. She opened the side panel again and adjuested one of the cogwheels ever so slightly. Carefully she plucked out a small orb that looked to be made of glass with wires attached to it. She set it aside and used a crooked tool to adjust the tilt on the platform on which the orb had been resting. She then put the orb back and shut the side panel.
Her hands were now stained with oil and as she pulled the hair from her face she left a streak of grime on her cheek.
"That should do the trick. Do the same run again. If this doesn't work I'm gonna blame it on your right butt-cheek being fatter than the left"
Elize grinned, stepped back once more and whiped her hands on an already dirty towel.

Byakko

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Foxy i tis feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Drev did as Elize told her. She parked the Raptor and shut off the engine. While Elize made some adjustments, Drev took the opportunity to poke around in the cockpit. Familiarizing with all the switches and buttons.

She laughed at Elize's comment. "Or maybe you're not as good as you think" she said teasingly and winked. Drev started up the engine and let the Raptor hover over the ground for a while, trying to feel if it started tilting again, before taking control and letting the Raptor glide forward. This time she couldn't feel any tugging in the steering and the vehicle stayed the course she had set out without having to do any adjustments. She took the same tour as before and then parked in front of Elize again. "Smooth sailing" she said smiling.

Foxy
Admin

Användarens profil

Inlägg  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Till överst på sidan

Behörigheter i detta forum: